Harold Bawlzangya Racing

Posts tagged “service

Servicing swingarm, linkage and shock bearings – Day 2

I was going to buy the lower shock bearing, but found this kit on eBay for $23 shipped.  That was just a little more than the lower bearing alone.  The top and bottom shock bearing are the same.  And since the top bearing doesn’t get trashed as quickly, this kit provides 2 lower bearings for about the price of one.

ShockBearingKit

(Click picture to enlarge)

Time to press out the old bearing. A 5/8 socket fits perfectly. . .

RemoveLowerShockBearing (1)

(Click picture to enlarge)

Back in the vice . . .

RemoveLowerShockBearing (2)

(Click picture to enlarge)

Once the end of the bearing hits the vice and can’t go any further add a larger socket to give the bearing some room . . .

RemoveLowerShockBearing (4)

(Click picture to enlarge)

And out it comes.

RemoveLowerShockBearing (5)

(Click picture to enlarge)

Add some grease to the outside of the bearing and put it back in the vice with the 5/8 socket.  I pulled the rollers out so I could clean the grease that came with it and replace it with BelRay waterproof grease.

NewLowerBearing (4)

(Click picture to enlarge)

NewLowerBearing (5)

(Click picture to enlarge)

Advertisements

Servicing swingarm, linkage and shock bearings – Day 1

As I was waiting for the loctite to cure on the fork stem nuts, I thought I should get around to taking care of the suspension on the rear of the bike.  I haven’t done much riding in ’12, so I didn’t feel too bad waiting so long to service the rear end.

One of the next things I need to do is fix the pipe/silencer coupler.  Putting around the backyard and running 927 isn’t helping either.

Starting with a clean work surface . . .

(Click picture to enlarge)

(Click picture to enlarge)

Got everything unbolted and could start checking out all the individual bearings:

(Click picture to enlarge)

The grease in these two were dirty, but not as bad as . . .

(Click picture to enlarge)

The lower shock bearings usually don’t last too long, I have a feeling this one won’t be too different.

(Click picture to enlarge)

I pulled the rollers out and there was still some grease, but there was more dirt and/or rust than anything else.

(Click picture to enlarge)

(Click picture to enlarge)

I was going to take a shot to see if there was any way to salvage that lower bearing, so I put the rollers in some penetrating oil for a while.  No luck with that, time to get a replacement.

(Click picture to enlarge)

The upper shock bearing still looked good, just need to clean and re-grease that one.  The linkage bearings looked good as well, just clean and re-grease those as well.

(Click picture to enlarge)

The swingarm bearings have been in there since I built the hybrid, so I’m going to replace those.  First step is grabbing a 13/16 socket . . .

(Click picture to enlarge)

Setting the socket and swingarm in a vice and start turning . . .

(Click picture to enlarge)

Got the bearing out as far as I can in the vice . . .

(Click picture to enlarge)

Then tap it out with an extension . . .

(Click picture to enlarge)

All done cleaning the swingarm, linkages, rear brake and the bearings I was going to keep.

DoneCleaning

(Click picture to enlarge)