Harold Bawlzangya Racing

Comet 780 fine tuning

I finally got around to doing a little tuning on the 780 clutch.  My belt wasn’t going up all the way and from looking at pictures of other clutches, this was pretty common.

 

The picture doesn’t do it justice, but there is a good size gap between the belt and the sheaves.  That gap represents wasted movement of the clutch that doesn’t translate into any movement of the cart.

I took the cover off the clutch and pressed the spider down until I had just a slight gap between belt and sheaves.

I cut down and aluminum ring from some scrap so that it fit properly under the clip.

Now the belt goes all the way to the top.

 

A while back I did away with the engine set to idle at a stop.  When I was putting everything together, I took out some of the slack in the belt.  Between the tighter belt and the belt riding higher in the drive clutch, there is a noticeable difference in the speed of the cart.  My tach broke so I will have to wait and get a new speed vs. RPM to compare to the original set-up.

Comments are closed.