Harold Bawlzangya Racing

Installing KDX engine

With the engine rebuild completed, time to get the engine back in the bike.

Engine installed and swingarm, mounting and headstay bolts all torqued to spec:

Installing engine (1)

(Click picture to enlarge)

Pipe and radiators in place.   I put the subframe on so I could get the silencer in place so the high-temp RTV could dry with the pipe in the proper position.  Almost looking like a dirt bike again:

Installing engine (2)

(Click picture to enlarge)

 This makes installing the masterlink a lot easier, just alternate between the two pins to seat it evenly:

Installing master link

(Click picture to enlarge)

Before starting the bike, I wanted to go up one size on the main jet and drop the clip 2 positions on the needle so things would be rich for break-in:

Breaking in Engine (1)

(Click picture to enlarge)

I bolted the bare minimum on for break-in:

Breaking in Engine (3)

(Click picture to enlarge)

In true KDX fashion, it started on the 2nd kick.  After letting the engine warm-up, I ran it around the yard as hard as I could 5 or 6 times.  I brought it back to cool down.  Once the engine was cold, started it up again and got it to operating temperature.  This time I adjusted the clutch so I could get the Rekluse EXP working correctly.  Ran it around the yard as hard as I could another 5 times.  Brought it back to cool down.  Did the warm-up and ride around one last time.  I figured that was enough to keep the neighbors from really getting ticked off.

With a fresh engine, the super spooge should be all gone.  So it is time to repack the silencer.

RepackingSilencer (5)

(Click picture to enlarge)

Not as bad as I was expecting:

RepackingSilencer (3)

(Click picture to enlarge)

RepackingSilencer (2)

(Click picture to enlarge)

Almost done.  I always have a tough time aligning the perforated tube:

RepackingSilencer (1)

(Click picture to enlarge)

Done:

RepackingSilencer (6)

(Click picture to enlarge)

The last time I had an AirStriker carb, dirt was getting in through the top two vent lines.  I had installed these filters and needed to put them on again.  I knew there must of been a reason I had kept that POS Uni airfilter:

ventfilters (4)

(Click picture to enlarge)

But I found a good use for it:

ventfilters (2)

(Click picture to enlarge)

ventfilters (1)

(Click picture to enlarge)

ventfilters (6)

(Click picture to enlarge)

Filters installed:

ventfilters (5)

(Click picture to enlarge)

 I’m glad I pulled the carb because I realized I had something installed wrong:

opps

 (Click picture to enlarge)

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s