Harold Bawlzangya Racing

Major, major setback on the engine rebuild

Yesterday I “thought” I had made good progress on getting the motor back together.  I stopped at this point:

joining cases (3)

(Click picture to enlarge)

I waited for the Yamabond to dry overnight and then I dumped in some of the Lucas premix that I will no longer be using to coat everything up.  I spun the crank around multiple times and then dumped out the extra premix.  Along with the premix came a number of “particles”, which I will now refer to as CRAP.

I got the magnet out and only a few pieces of the CRAP were magnetic.  I took the engine outside and dumped some gas in the bottom end, spun the crank around a few times and then dumped the gas out in a white tub.  Sure enough, more CRAP!  I did this flush about 6 more times and CRAP kept coming out.

I took a deep breath and decided the cases had to come apart.  After getting the crank out, I put it in the white tub with some gas/premix:

dirtycrank (1)

(Click picture to enlarge)

It was very easy to spin the crank around in the gas/premix and I did that about 15 rotations.  This is what was at the bottom:

dirtycrank (5)

(Click picture to enlarge)

dirtycrank (4)

(Click picture to enlarge)

dirtycrank (2)

(Click picture to enlarge)

Most of this is non-magnetic.  I ran out of time today, but I have one idea where all this CRAP is coming from.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s