Harold Bawlzangya Racing

KX-200 hybrid air box

More information HERE.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The inlet of the KDX carb is smaller than the inlet of the KX carb.  Some have used the KX boot and then clamped it down really tight hoping that it effectively seals.  I didn’t want to take the risk that it doesn’t seal properly, so the task of fitting the KDX air boot to the KX airbox begins.

The basic concept is sandwiching the KDX boot between two pieces of aluminum plate and then securing that to the KX airbox.

First step is to cut-out the two pieces of aluminum plate.

(click picture to enlarge)

The next part is doing some trimming on the KDX boot.  There are ridges on the sealing edge of the boot that I trimmed off with a razor blade.  It turned out to be tougher than expected to cleanly trim the ridges off, so the end result is pretty ugly.  But I’ll be using black RTV to seal everything up, so any high/low spots will get taken care of.

I also had to cut off some of the edges near the bolt holes because they would extend too close to the edges of my aluminum plates.  Below is what the boot looks like after all the cutting and trimming.

(click picture to enlarge)

I’m going to cut out a recess on both plates that the sealing flange of the boot will sit in.  I took my time positioning everything to make sure I had the boot sitting in the plate correctly.  After triple checking everything, I traced the outline of the boot on the plate.

(click picture to enlarge)

This is what I’ll be working from now that the boot is removed.

(click picture to enlarge)

After spending some time with a router, this is what this plate looked liked.  I repeated this procedure for the other plate.

(click picture to enlarge)

The KX cage needed to be modified to accommodate the additional thickness of the aluminum plates I’m using.  I needed to remove the bolts that are used to secure the KX airbox together.  Drilling out the head of each bolt was the easiest way to do it.

(click picture to enlarge)

All bolts removed.

(click picture to enlarge)

I used longer stainless steel allen head bolts.

(click picture to enlarge)

This is the other side of the cage. It has been painted and ready to go.

(click picture to enlarge)

Ready to put it all together.  First step is to put the cage bolts through one of the plates.  The little spacers shown two pictures above sit flush with the plate.

(click picture to enlarge)

Other side.

(click picture to enlarge)

Next step is to put the boot into the other plate.

(click picture to enlarge)

It was a warm day when I was putting this together and the RTV was curing faster than I expected.  I couldn’t stop to take pictures of the remaining steps but it is pretty straightforward.  I used a lot of RTV on the surfaces where the two aluminum plates join together.  Then I put those two pieces together and then installed that assembly into the KX airbox.  To finish it off, I made a trim ring that fits over the bolts on the outside of the airbox and then used nyloc nuts to secure it all together.

Here are a few shots of the finished airbox.

(click picture to enlarge)

(click picture to enlarge)

(click picture to enlarge)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s