Harold Bawlzangya Racing

HBR Skid Plate

After welding in the mounts for the skid plate, the next part was to build the skid plate itself.  I started with the cheap Universal skid plate and then one from a KDX I sold a while ago and used those as templates.

(click picture to enlarge)

 

I had some 3/16″ aluminum left over from another project and decided to use that to build the skid plate.  The 3/16″ is total overkill, but the price is right.

(click picture to enlarge)

 

After tracing out the rough shape, a little time with a jig saw got me to this point.

(click picture to enlarge)

 

Because this is so thick and I didn’t have a brake to properly bend the aluminum, I scored the aluminum with my table saw to help make bending it easier.

(click picture to enlarge)

 

I didn’t remove too much material.

(click picture to enlarge)

 

Again using one of my sophisticated tools, I used some 2×4’s, a scrap piece of wood and a BFH to make my bends.

(click picture to enlarge)

 

The technique was ugly, but the end result came out looking good.

(click picture to enlarge)

 

(click picture to enlarge)

 

As I was bending and test fitting the plate, I realized that the ‘wing’ wasn’t going to be large enough to adequately cover & protect the water pump.  I made the mistake of assuming the KDX plate would have provided good protection, I should have checked before cutting.

So I think I came up with a workable solution.  I cut off the ‘wing’ on the water pump side of the plate and then used some cardboard to make a template.  My plan is to use a replaceable wing that is bolted to the main skid plate.    Some more time with a jig saw got me to this point.

(click picture to enlarge)

 

Scored several more lines where the bends need to be.

(click picture to enlarge)

 

Some creative hammering resulted in this.

(click picture to enlarge)

 

(click picture to enlarge)

 

I had to take a break for the day, more pictures to come. . .

_______________________________________________________________

7.9.11 Update:  Not really much of an update, I realized that I forgot to put pictures of the skid plate bolted together and on the bike.

I pulled this off the bike to do some work and this is what the underside looks like

(click picture to enlarge)

 

(click picture to enlarge)

 

(click picture to enlarge)

 

(click picture to enlarge)

 

(click picture to enlarge)

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s