Making a YZ kickstand fit a K-DX 200
I decided to take advantage of the crappy weather and tear the K-DX apart to regrease everything, touch-up the frame paint and do a few modifications.
I’ve had an eBay search set-up for over a year looking for a ProMoto Billtet kickstand. No one was selling used ones for a KX frame and all new ones were $134. My patience finally paid off as I won a PMB for $50 shipped.
The only problem is that it was for an ’05-’07 YZ125/250.
Since I had an easy time making a TrailTech kickstand from a 1999 YZ 125 that I owned fit my bike (just had to elongate a mounting hole by 1/8″), I felt confident I could make this one work.
Huge difference between the two, I can see why everyone that has a PMB likes it so much. My problem is that the ’05-07 YZ mounting holes are nowhere close matching up to the KX frame.
I considered giving up and try to put the PMB back on eBay and get my money back. But I got out the hacksaw instead and started trying to make it fit.
Recessed the new mounting location.
Cleaned things up with a belt and orbital sander.
The next thing to tackle was the lower mounting location. I couldn’t make the KX roller guide match up to the lower mount on the PMB. I cut-up part of a bracket from my hybrid build and will use this as an extension. I’m going to weld the nut on the back so I don’t have to deal with using a wrench when taking the kickstand off in the future.
Not the prettiest welds, but it isn’t going anywhere. And yes, I did clean-up the area I was welding. I’ll paint this area and other parts of the frame after I mount-up my skid plate.
All bolted up.